5/08/2006

 

Songwriting

I had a practice on Saturday for the band I've recently joined, Stand Your Ground. Afterwards I spent a few minutes working on the lyrics for one of the songs. I was surprised to find that the process was somewhat nostalgic; I've written hundreds of songs in the last ten years, but the experience was one I hadn't felt since one vaguely recalled evening working on songs for Spaceman Spiff. What's the difference? Here was a process in motion: words were required to keep the machinery of the band going.

In almost every other case, I've started with something that I wanted to say or express; or, similarly, Danny or someone else would bring a composition to the table. It was definitely a different feeling. In some ways it was pleasant, with more of a feeling of accomplishment. And yet, part of me couldn't help feeling that it didn't mean as much.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?